Thursday, December 16, 2010

Do you guys believe in Lions?




We sure had a blast hanging out with John's folks, Dave and Janet Niemeyer, during their recent visit here to Uganda. The Niemeyers were kind enough to let me tag along on their adventures, which included an amazing safari through Murchison Falls National Park. It was absolutely gorgeous as we made our way though mud, muck, sand, grasslands, and bogs... and we were fortunate enough to see giraffe, warthogs, gazelle, monkeys, water buffalo, countless birds, and even a leopard and lion. The Niemeyers shot the following pictures from our Land Cruiser (in addition to that picture of the lion, which was resting after having killed a gazelle that we saw nearby):







I'm heading back up to Gulu tomorrow on my (Shane's really) recently fixed Honda XLR200. Just a small tweak to the fuel/air mixture in the carburetor and she'll be good to go...


It'll be nice to have wheels again around Gulu. The wells in Attiak were completed successfully, so we'll be scouting out the next project to complete before Christmas. Speaking of Christmas, we've been trying to play as much Christmas music as possible to get in the spirit! (Otherwise, with the weather we have around here, you'd never know it's mid December!)

Much love from Uganda~

B.

3 comments:

Dan said...

You know I loved the title of this post as much as the content, right? Do you have enough Christmas music? If not, I could hook you up.

Blake said...

Dan the Man! The guy can hit it out of the park sometimes, eh? Pretty good to go on the Christmas music, thanks to John, but I'm definitely interested in finding a few new artists for the new year... any ideas for me? Maybe one or two that you know I'll love, and one or two to stretch me a bit?

Ray and Sarah Schafer said...

BLAKE!!! So strange how roads converge: I saw a post on facebook with photos, tagging both you and a dear friend of mine in photos from Uganda. Then I realized you're in Uganda, and she has spent appx 3 years there (but is home now). Her name is Amelia Hirsch, and I lived with her in Eugene. Anyhow, so happy you are doing well and doing such eternal work. You look joyful and full of life...

Blessings on you, friend!!

Sarah (Reichner) Schafer